Skip to main content

1st Philippine National Children's Book Awards

Yesterday was the announcement of the winners of the very first Philippine National Children's Book Awards (NCBA). The awards are for the very best children's and young adult books published in the Philippines (2008-2009). There are no categories and no rankings for the NCBA. And the NCBA does not only evaluate the text of the nominated books. Illustrations, book design, and even the materials used in printing and binding the books are evaluated when choosing the "best reads" for young people in the Philippines!

I was a judge for the awards (yes, this is me revealing my sooper sekrit project!) and I am very proud to now share with you the six winners of the first NCBA. Below are the winners' covers and the judges' comments on the books.


Araw sa Palengke (Market Day)
Written by May Tobias-Papa
Illustrated by Isabel Roxas
Adarna, 2008
(In Filipino, with English translations)

"Listen well," her mother tells her. "Hold on to me tightly, ha? So you won't get lost. And don't point at things that you want me to buy for you." And so the story begins with a promise: "Yes, Nanay, I promise."

Early one morning, a little girl accompanies her mother to the market. They take readers with them. The market is hot and noisy, smelly and muddy, but it's also fascinating and colorful, because it's seen from a point of view that's only about three feet tall. When they arrive home, and our little girl unpacks the bayong (bag) to find a surprise wrapped in newspaper at the bottom, it's her joy we feel in the little dance that she does.

Araw sa Palengke is a true marriage of text and visual image. The story by May Tobias-Papa is gentle and straightforward, and the illustrations by Isabel Roxas are charming and finely detailed. The result is a lighthearted picture book that is nuanced, controlled, and thoroughly engaging. A really good read.



Can We Live on Mars?: A Book About Space

Written by Gidget Roceles-Jimenez
Illustrated by Bru
Adarna, 2009
(In English)

One interesting concern that was raised among the judges was that appropriate reading for ages 9-12 was sadly lacking in the market. Here then is a book that is both educational and entertaining for kids at the threshold of adolescence - kids ready for meaty facts, yet still profiting from the visual and often humorous support of illustrations. The title of the book, Can We Live on Mars?, aptly echoes children's questions about astronomy and its function in culture and society. This book is serious fun. Written, illustrated, and designed as a handy collection of facts and activities about the study of space, Can We Live on Mars? provides concise and enjoyable reading and should be a useful supplement to science textbooks in schools today. Gidget Roceles-Jimenez’s writing effectively converses with young readers, while the illustrations provided by Bru ensure the liveliness of this exchange. Finally, the challenge of keeping these elements integrated and organized was met by book designer Lesley Lim.

By locating the Philippines in the constellation of achievements in the history of astronomy, Can We Live on Mars? boosts our sense of identity and creativity. It is an empowering and inspiring book, giving students sound ideas on what they can do as budding scientists and responsible global citizens now and into the future.



Just Add Dirt

Written by Becky Bravo
Illustrated by Jason Moss
Adarna, 2009
(In English, with Filipino translations)

One morning, Miguel wakes up to find little mung bean seedlings growing out of his ears. "That's what you get for not taking a bath," his mother says quite nonchalantly. Miguel promises to take a bath, but he keeps putting it off so that he can play with his friends. Meanwhile, more and more plants start growing all over his body - a veritable vegetable garden! Miguel starts to panic, but his mother remains cool and calm.

Becky Bravo has written very interesting characters and a funny, immensely entertaining story. Jason Moss' colorful, vivid, and detailed illustrations add even more humor to the book. Just Add Dirt will have children giggling behind their hands, then bursting into loud and hearty laughter. And they just might think twice about not taking a bath....


Lub-Dub, Lub-Dub
Written by Russell Molina
Illustrated by Jomike Tejido
Bookmark, 2008
(In English)

Dr. Fe del Mundo's devotion to her profession is clearly yet dispassionately rendered from the point of view of an observer who is a child. Details of her achievements are unfolded in natural settings - the hallway of her office documenting her career in photographs or a dinnertime conversation between the child and her parents - and not simply a dry copy of the pediatrician's curriculum vitae. The book's uplifting theme is shown without sounding preachy and pedantic. The title suggests the sound of a beating heart, a gift shared by everyone; thus gently disputing the child's original claim that her younger sister is "different."


Tagu-Taguan (Hide-and-Seek): A Counting Book in Filipino
Written and illustrated by Jomike Tejido
Tahanan, 2009
(In Filipino, with English translations)

As the title suggests, these backyard creatures are not always obvious. They are surprising finds when one cares to seek them out. Mr. Tejido utilizes a full range of earth colors and jewel tones while carefully integrating texture into his illustrations. The creatures are in their proper habitats, but their surroundings never overwhelm them. Each creature is carefully drawn, well defined, and well proportioned. The proboscises of the butterflies, the segments of the earthworms, the thorny hind legs of the grasshoppers, and the joints of the spiders’ legs are a few examples of the exact anatomical details in a book that is both artistic and accurate.

Mr. Tejido's decision to start at ten and count backwards adds a refreshing perspective to this book. Rote counting backwards is a necessary skill and it is never too early to introduce that skill to children.


Tuwing Sabado (Every Saturday)
Written by Russell Molina
Illustrated by Sergio Bumatay III
Lampara, 2009
(In Filipino, with English translations)

The child in this story anticipates every Saturday, as it is the only day he can be with his father. We are caught up in the excitement of the child. And why not? The father is an amazing man! He always has something new in store for his son. He entertains, he cooks, he teaches, he steels his son for the future. It is easy to be drawn into the child’s narrative. We wish with him that Saturdays would come more quickly than every seven days. One is then taken aback by the surprise revealed at the end of the book. The carefully omitted background details and the characters' clown-like faces in the illustrations succeed in showing the intimacy and wonder between the child and his father and in keeping the secret until the very end.


Congratulations to all of the winners!!!

I'm sorry I don't have any pictures from the awards ceremony to share. I wasn't able to take any pictures. I was too busy staring at the winners because I was so happy for them! Hopefully I can get some pictures from friends and share them in another post. =D

I'd like to take this opportunity to thank the organizers of the NCBA: the members of the Philippine National Book Development Board (NBDB) and the members of the Philippine Board on Books for Young People (PBBY). The members of the NBDB and the PBBY are so hardworking, so professional, and so friendly. They are awesomecakes topped with awesomesauce.

I would most especially like to thank the other judges: Dr. Lina Diaz de Rivera, Karen Flores, Ana Maria Rodriguez, and Maria Elena Locsin. I learned so much from all of you. And discussing children's and young adult books with you felt like coming home.

Comments

  1. Yay, you've been so excited for this event and I'm glad you finally got to announce the winners so you could share the news! I have to take note of these books so I can check them out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, please do check them out, Chachic!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. Congratulations on the judging opportunity! And I'm very happy that we finally have this kind of award. I just bought "Can We Live On Mars?" for my son a couple of weeks ago because I thought it was a great book. So happy to find out that it won an award.:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can We Live on Mars? is EXCELLENT. I hope your son liked it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So cool! And they all look so good. SQUEE! They were lucky to have you.

    -- Jules, 7-Imp

    ReplyDelete
  6. Now I understand the big secreeeecy. :D What a thrill and honor, Tarie!!! Thanks for sharinf these gems with us. I love what I see on the covers. wow!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Tuwing Sabado is my personal favorite. I love reading this book to my pupils. A very moving story indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The books all look great. Available in the US?

    Must have been fun, being able to help judge this.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks, everyone! It was indeed a great privilege and honor to be one of the judges. And yes, I had a lot of fun!

    Mardel, the books aren't available in the U.S. But I think the three winners from Adarna (Araw sa Palengke, Can We Live on Mars?, and Just Add Dirt) can be ordered online (http://adarna.com.ph). I'm actually thinking of giving away copies of the winners. =D

    ReplyDelete
  10. I HAVE TO organise a trip to the Philippines so I can buy all these books. Can't wait!

    But, are they available online as well?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Daphne, the three winners from Adarna (Araw sa Palengke, Can We Live on Mars?, and Just Add Dirt) can be ordered online (http://adarna.com.ph). And I am thinking of giving away copies of the winners. =D

    ReplyDelete
  12. I didn't know we had something like this! So proud of our authors. My three-year old US-based niece loved Araw sa Palengke (I had to explain to her what a palayok was) and I wish I had read to her more books from this list. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Woot woot! I'm so happy your niece liked it! =D

    Buy the other winners for her, too. ;D

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Ms. Tarie. I'm a graduate student enrolled in a Reading class this sem. Part of our course requirements is to evaluate some reading materials including those award winnings. I've read that you're one of the jury on that event. May I just ask what are the criteria used last NCBA 2010? please, kindly send me the details and other information you deem necessary about the award. thanks in advance :)

    Kelvin Samson
    kelvin.samson@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. My Name is Steve Jones from Canada, i turn to a vampire any time i want to, I become a real vampire because of how people treat me, This world is a wicked world and not fair to any body. At the snack of my finger things are made happened. Am now a powerful vampire and no one step on me without an apology goes free. I turn to human being also at any time i want to. And am one of the most dreaded and respected person in my country. i am now also very famous and rich with the help of the VAMPIRES EMPIRE. i get what ever a want. i become a vampire through the help of my friend who introduce me into a vampire Kingdom by given me their email: jamessuccessfultemple45@gmail.com, if you want to become a powerful and a real vampire kindly contact the vampire kingdom on their email: jamessuccessfultemple45@gmail.com for help. it is real. Contact them today. jamessuccessfultemple45@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. My Name is Steve Jones from Canada, i turn to a vampire any time i want to, I become a real vampire because of how people treat me, This world is a wicked world and not fair to any body. At the snack of my finger things are made happened. Am now a powerful vampire and no one step on me without an apology goes free. I turn to human being also at any time i want to. And am one of the most dreaded and respected person in my country. i am now also very famous and rich with the help of the VAMPIRES EMPIRE. i get what ever a want. i become a vampire through the help of my friend who introduce me into a vampire Kingdom by given me their email: jamessuccessfultemple45@gmail.com, if you want to become a powerful and a real vampire kindly contact the vampire kingdom on their email: jamessuccessfultemple45@gmail.com for help. it is real. Contact them today. jamessuccessfultemple45@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Ako'y Isang Mabuting Pilipino (I Am A Good Filipino) by Noel Cabangon and Jomike Tejido

This one is a real crowd pleaser: Ako'y Isang Mabuting Pilipino , Lampara Books ' 2012 picture book adaptation of Noel Cabangon 's song, with Cabangon's original Filipino lyrics, functional English translations by Becky Bravo , and illustrations by Jomike Tejido ! Cabangon's inspiring lyrics remind children of the ways they can be good Filipinos, such as doing their best in school and obeying their parents. There are plenty of reminders for adults too, such as following traffic rules and not selling their votes during elections. Tejido's illustrations are warm and wholesome, acrylic paintings on hand-woven mats that depict different ways to be good citizens.    You just can't go wrong with Ako'y Isang Mabuting Pilipino ! Children and adults will understand and appreciate the lyrics and paintings. The chords of the song are provided, so music lovers can play and sing along. There are notes and guide questions for educators. There is even

Where the Mountain Meets the Moon by Grace Lin

There is a barren mountain aptly called Fruitless Mountain, and by it lies the dark Jade River. In the shadow of the mountain is a poor village where everything is the dull color of mud. In this village live Ba and Ma and their quick-thinking daughter Minli. Ba, Ma, and Minli work hard in the fields every day, yet they only have plain rice to eat for their meals. Ma sighs with discontentment all the time. Minli looks at her weary father, her dissatisfied mother, and her desolate village and wishes she knew how she could change their fortune. Ba has told Minli wonderful stories about the Never-Ending Mountain and the Old Man of the Moon who knows the answer to all important questions, for he alone holds and reads the Book of Fortune. Minli decides to find the Never-Ending Mountain and climb up to the moon so that she can ask the Old Man how she can change her family's fortune. And so begins Minli's journey. Along the way, she makes many new friends, including a dragon, a buffa

Author Interview: Edna Cabcabin Moran

This was originally posted at Into the Wardrobe on May 28, 2009. Today, I am SO PROUD to present my interview with Filipino American author illustrator Edna Cabcabin Moran . *bursts with pride* Welcome, Edna!! Author/Illustrator, Edna Cabcabin Moran. Photo by Mark Moran. Can you tell us a bit about your Asian American heritage? My parents are from Eastern Samar, Philippines, an historic island in the Visayan island chain. My father was a U.S. Navy Chief Petty Officer who brought my mom and older siblings to this country. I am the first American-born child in the family. Growing up, I always felt like I straddled two cultures. I'm very American in the way I dress, speak and carry myself. I don't know Tagalog and I lost touch with my parent's dialect, Waray Waray. However, I have strong cultural roots and have retained much of my Filipino-ness which includes a deep, abiding respect for the elders and their stories. Perhaps the family meal is a good indicator of how one is ra