Editors Dean Francis Alfar (publisher of the Philippine Speculative Fiction anthologies) and Kenneth Yu (publisher of Philippine Genre Stories) announce a call for short fiction submissions for HORROR: Fantastic Filipino Fiction for Young Adults.
Fantastic Filipino Fiction for Young Adults is a new annual anthology series, with the first volume focusing on horror, and launching in mid-2012.
Submissions must be:
1. in the horror genre or contain strong horror elements
2. written with the young adult reader in mind (from 10 – 18 years old) and feature a young adult character (or characters)
3. cognizant of the themes and concerns of young adult fiction (coming of age, identity, belonging, a sense of wonder, a love for adventure, angst, concerns over school, challenges of youth, family issues, relationships to authority figures, sexuality, experimentation, peer pressure, bullying, among many others) – without being didactic and/or boring
4. written in English
5. authored by Filipinos or those of Philippine ancestry
Submissions are preferred to be:
1. original and unpublished
2. no shorter than 1,000 words and no longer than 7,500
In the case of previously-published work — if accepted, the author will be expected to secure permission to reprint, if necessary, from the original publishing entity, and to provide relevant publication information.
1. No multiple or simultaneous submissions — i.e., submit only one story, and do not submit that story to any other market until you have received a letter of regret from us.
2. All submissions should be in rich text format (saved under the file extension ‘.rtf’), and emailed to dean(at)kestrelddm(dot)com with the subject line ‘FFFH: title (word count)’, where ‘title’ is the title of your submission and '(word count)' is the number of words the submission comes up to, rounded up to the nearest hundred (use the “tools” function of your word processor to find out).
3. Do not use fancy formatting.
4. Include a brief bio and publishing history (if applicable).
5. The deadline for submissions is midnight, Manila time, March 15, 2012. Letters of acceptance or regret will be sent out no later than one month after the deadline.
6. First-time authors are more than welcome to submit; good stories trump literary credentials any time.
Compensation will be Php500 for selected stories. We are still deciding whether to go digital or print (or even both). In the event that we publish a print version, each author will be provided with a contributor’s copy of the book. If the anthology is published in digital form, each author will be given a formatted e-copy of the anthology.
Dean Francis Alfar & Kenneth Yu
HORROR: Fantastic Filipino Fiction for Young Adults
Picture Books Bios I’d Like to See (Based Entirely on Hark, A Vagrant Comics) - Okay. So now we’re finally getting some interesting picture book biographies on a regular basis. When I was a kid you had your Helen Keller and your Abrah...
2 days ago